Thursday, February 3, 2011

Super Bowl Eats

Super Bowl Sunday is fast approaching.  It's one of the days that I yearn to be back in the US sitting on a couch with my family watching the game, eating and drinking beer.  In the past, my husband and I have stayed up (OK, he has, I usually conk out around half time) to watch the game, which usually starts  around 11 PM till 4 AM here in the UK.  I love football, but I love food even more.  The Super Bowl is just the excuse I need to make some of my favorite appetizers and party foods.  Here are a few of my favorites:
and a few of my own:

Hot Crab Dip
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 6.5 oz can crab meat
  • 2 Tbsp chopped white onion
  • 1/2 tsp cream style horseradish 
  • 1 Tbsp milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 Cup toasted slivered almonds
Mix the first 6 ingredients and top with almonds.  Bake at 180 C (350 F) for 20 minutes.  Serve with crackers.  A classic.

Meatballs
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 1/4 Cup chopped parsley
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 Cup bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 chopped white onion
  • 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3 Tbsp water
  • Chili Sauce and Grape Jelly (could use blackcurrent jam in UK) OR
  • Barbecue sauce
Mix all ingredients except oil, water and sauces.  Grease a baking sheet with oil.  Shape mixture into meatballs and bake at 180C (350 F) for about 25 minutes or until browned.  Once cooked, place meatballs into a saucepan and poor over the chili sauce and grape jelly (together), or BBQ sauce.  You will need to use the whole chili sauce and jelly, or BBQ sauce bottle.  Add the 3 Tbsp water and mix.  Serve warm.  

Last year, I made these for dessert, and they were amazing.  I think I may need to make them again.  Have I mentioned that i'm training for a half marathon in June?  For real.  I think I'd be in trouble if  I wasn't.

Go Packers!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really recognise what you are speaking approximately!

    Bookmarked. Kindly also seek advice from my website =).
    We could have a hyperlink alternate contract among us
    My web site - used to

    ReplyDelete