Thursday, January 27, 2011

Muffins!

I though I'd start this blog up again with a bang.  Two old favorite recipes and a yummy new one.   I'll start with the  new recipe.  In the last year I have dived into bread making and discovered I really like baking with yeast, and the whole step by step process.  It kind of suits my type A personality.  Plus the smell of fresh baking bread doesn't hurt either.  So today, between school runs, dropping off a deposit on a new house, grocery shopping, picking up a school uniform, and keeping my toddler entertained, I decided to make some homemade english muffins (as you do when you haven't sat down all day.....what am I like?)  I changed up the recipe a bit to healthy it up by making it whole wheat.  They were a hit with the kids, and pretty quick and easy to make as bread goes.  I'm looking forward to breakfast sandwiches in the morning.

Whole Wheat English Muffins
  • 1 Cup (125 g) whole wheat bread flour
  • 1.5  Cups (204 g) strong white bread flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 tsp instant yeast
  • 1 Tbsp room temp butter
  • 1 Cup (8 oz) milk (I used almond milk, but you can use any unsweetend milk)
  • Cornmeal (Polenta)
In a large bowl mix both flours, sugar, salt and yeast.  Add in butter and milk and start kneading dough for about 5 minutes.  Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Leave to rise for 1 hour.  

Lay parchment paper on baking sheet.  Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal lightly.  Divide dough in to 6 even balls and place on baking sheet.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and leave to rise for another hour.

Preheat the oven to 180.  Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 Tbsp vegetable oil.  Place dough balls in skillet and brown each side, about 5 minutes each side.  Once they have finished browning, place dough balls , which should have flattened  while in the skillet, on a baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes, or until the muffins sound hollow when tapped.  Cool muffins on a cooling rack about 30 minutes.  Store in an airtight container

Source:  Adapted from Annie's Eats  


The other recipes coming soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment